PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO turn back
Thread: EFATO turn back
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2012, 04:00
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What that just says is us RAAFies are good for it but not a VH tailer, so hence the TG comment. But no bunfights required.
Jaba mate with all due respect, I think you're being a little thin skinned.
As for the Macchi story, some will know it very well indeed, others, most will not because despite someone wanting to punch out, common sense prevailed because one pilot KNEW his aeroplane and KNEW he could do it and he KNEW all would end well. So despite the accepted norm of the time, he made the right call.
You still haven't given us much to go on! How about a date.
However I agree with what you're getting at. If it's the incident I think it was, the aircraft was dual (i.e. studly in front, "Sir" in back). I'm assuming the instructor in question had practiced this maneouvre within the rules as they were at the time until he was happy with it, i.e. he KNEW his aircraft and (more importantly!) he KNEW he could handle it.
Read my last post again. OK for staff to practice it, bit don't teach it to students. That hasn't changed much. Remember the students are going to fly bigger and better things than a PC9, in particular aircraft with more than one engine. The only single engined operational type in the RAAF is the FAC PC9. Why go to all the effort and heartache of teaching students reciprocal turn-backs in an aircraft with an ejection seat. It's that risk v reward thing again.
Having said that, they will be trained to cope with that type of thing in the
PC9 when they do instructors course.
I did not teach a reciprocal TB's in the CT4. If there was a strong wind, a crash ahead left you with a lower GS and a better chance of survival.
The PC9 however, if flown well, would easily get a reciprocal TB in less than about 15 kts. Any more and without the determination to 'push into wind' prior to the turn, most students would overrun the runway after the turn back.
I'm happy to demonstrate them to other staff in a CT4, if only to show them that the chances of them pulling one off in a heavy CT4 at Tamworth on a hot day are not good. Again, know your aircraft.