PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 4th Apr 2012, 17:47
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try right at the bottom (within 10%). I'm merely stating my "selfish self interest view" as it was called in a post above. BMICC are pushing their view and BACC are pushing their view.

Had BA not bought BMI any growth in the company would be below me on the list- 100% of BMI pilots have a BMI DOJ significnatly above me. So personally I would be screwed by them all jumping onto the list - that's my view and my position.

I am of an age where the only command I will see at BA will be shorthaul so even if all 300 people only go onto the airbus in DOJ order it still affects me greatly an I really don't see why I should be ashamed of defending my own interests. The only difference between me and alot of other people is that I am happy to openly and publicly defend my interests and not engage in a bunch of backstabbing and politics.

I wish all BMI pilots well and I hope they all get good job security out of all this, but they are legally entitled to join BA with their TUPE entitlements - which absolutely does not include any right to be on the MSL at all, let alone in their DOJ position, or with any rights to any of the other bidline stuff, bidding for other fleets etc etc. anything else is all subject to negotiation - The BMI guys will state their reasons for wanting what they want, I, and everyone else in BA will state theirs. A balance will be found with some winners and some losers. Every group of people will be more or less affected by some elements of the takeover - being at the bottom of the list I am hugely affected by the seniority issues. Even the TUPE issues of LIFO and staff travel affect me - as I will be below all the BMI guys for LIFO redundancy calculation in a company that is significantly more at risk than it was last week, having just taken on a 200 million pound millstone.
Medium to long term I think we can all see the benefits of this, but short term there are some issues that need to be resolved.