PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 4th Apr 2012, 09:54
160til4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I answer to Anton`s concern ;-
"Or, possibly being told that you will NEVER have another pay rise in your remaining career ( which could be another 20 years )"
Correct me if I`m wrong, but I understood BMI had a 12 year payscale. So if a Capt for 12 years (which I guess you must be after 24 years in BM/BMI?), then how were you ever going to get another incremental paypoint rise at BMI? The most that you could have hoped for would have been a general RPI type of pay rise, for the rest of your career. However, given the dire financial state of the company, it is more likely that you would have had a paycut imposed! So in what way, in regards of pay, are you being disadvantaged by joining a relatively secure company on a 34 point payscale, with your present salary protected until reaching the equivalent on that scale, then rising with it? And a much more realistic prospect of at least RPI increases in the meantime?

On a different note, concerning your view of your "worth after 24 years continuous service" in comparison to a "newcomer" . Many "newcomers" to BA also have extensive careers prior to BA, often as Capts, TRI`s, airforce standards instructors etc. How on earth can you make a judgement on your "worth" compared to theirs? Your 24 years in BMI is mainly a measure of your loyalty to that Company combined with choice or circumstance precluding a move elsewhere.

Last edited by 160til4; 4th Apr 2012 at 10:05.