PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Altara Interviews
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2012, 09:34
Cross_check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the job

Hi Everyone, just to help out with some information.
Firstly drug testing.. All airline cabin crew are drug tested prior to employment, a medical as well as dental x-rays. Most of this is usually done at your expense. Remembering drugs last in the system over different periods depending on dosage as well.. I have never taken drugs so it is never a worry for me. However I knew of a ground handler that was wound up and asked to resign due to a positive drug test. Please keep in mind that part of the terms and conditions of employment it states that you are subject to radom testing. It can occur at any time and depending on the policy a fail does not at times means a loss of job.. Sometimes it is more along the lines of a warning process and possibly end up with them referring you to help to get over your drug use...

As for benefits now days there are sometimes no benefits. What may happen is that staff hired on one contract will have this this and this.. you work the same job, same times and even share the double jump seat.. and you could have different benefits etc. Subject to how your hired and under want agreement. I presume Altara recruites are hired under Altara under contract to airlines so you may not actually be working as an employee.. Not sure but that is the way I look at it.

Heights - there is a minimum and depending on the airline there may be or may not be a height limit. If your on the shorter side you may be small for the jets such as A320 or 737, 767 A380 etc etc but you may be the ideal height for the Rex SAAB 340 aircraft or Qantaslink Dash 8's. Just ensure you apply to the correct division of Qantas if you are going along the Qantas Dash 8 path.

As for height - I feel if there is enough room for you to work/stand in the aircraft you should be fine.. however some airlines do have a height maximum. I understand the Boeing 767 has a galley that narrows in height.. but never worked on one so I would not know.

Training - Depends on the carrier. Sometimes you may need to go to a training center interstate but this would be arranged by the airline. I understand that there is only one A320 cabin simulator and it's in Melbourne. Qantas does have an awesome centre in Essendon that has a pool area to simulate storms etc, a 737 cabin simulator, chutes and a chute training platform, as well as door simulators and classrooms. (Got a tour a little while back)... Also worth a look is the museum next door...

Some things to expect... if you think training is cruisey.. Its not.. I have heard that you can fail and be asked to leave during training with some airlines. Put your life on hold. No pub on Saturday night - I would concentrate on your training. Remember that if you go on line you are still asked safety and security questions during staff briefing and you will be stood down from active duty if you fail these questions.

There is a bit of chat about meals on board. Some do some dont.. I have eaten in my day crew meals from a LCC. It contained a roll with ham and cheese, a bottle of water, a chocky and a cookie... I would rather take my own but remember taking fruit interstate in Australia can result in you getting fined. Eat your fruit ASAP and enjoy it.

RSA's... just did my NSW RSA today... apparently in NSW they last for 5 years and whilst this ruling has come in recently, apparently you could be asked to resit the whole course until such time they decide if they are going to create a bridging course or not. In NSW apparently you will receive confirmation on the day if your sucessful and in the email you get a certificate that you have to then make an appointment with Australia Post, and eventually after providing 100 points of ID you end up with an RSA card being sent to you. By law you would need to carry this with you at all times working as crew. Maybe put it in your ID tag box that allows you to store multiple cards all together.

Hope this helps... like I said most is here say.