PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how pilots can save fuel........?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2012, 08:27
B777-200ER

Save fuel? Save money? "save time"

Interesting thread people, some interesting ideas. Some a little impractical?! Your walking the fine line between "operational" requirements and practicality.
What sort of aircraft are we talking about here? It will make a difference for sure. Short haul or long? Let me tell you about the 767 and 777 which is where my experience lies and some practical "tips"
For a short haul flight on either the 767 or 777, let's say of up to about 2 or even 3 hrs endurance you can take "tons and tons" of extra fuel and it won't make a blind bit of difference. Perhaps 0.1 or 0.2 extra? Likewise the level you fly at on these short sectors won't matter much. If you get clobbered by ATC to fly at a low level, you make it up on the climb fuel and speed flown at the lower level. Thus a time saving and "total operating cost" saving.
If you try that on from bkk to fra then your probably not gonna make destination.
This has been a big "accountants" issue for many years.
Here's what American airlines did way back in the 80's:
They put a competition out to all employees asking for their suggestions to save money, they came up with this,
They removed the foam backing on the carpet saving hundreds of kg's on a heavy. They removed most of the paint, adopting the current "colors" another huge weight and drag issue. They redesigned the galleys and changed the baggage carts to save weight. And I'm sure there were other changes too?
Here's a few ideas if you fly the 777.
Low cost index does not always equate to the best economy. If its going to slow you down 40 mins on a bkk fra then you must be armed with "all" the information. ie what is your airlines "direct operating" cost per hr and reserve for overhaul costs? Good luck getting this information from your company as most of the time it's a closely guarded secret. They don't want you as Johnny pilot to know. But let me tell you, the cost of operating a 777 per hr with crew ATNS charges, catering, fuel, reserve for overhaul etc is eye watering. You'll all have to dig deep to get this info if your really keen, and of course, every airline will be different. Not surprisingly, the cost of crew and Flt atts is one of the lower costs. We're a "bargain" on the scale of things.
Airlines in the middle east etc have greatly reduced fuel costs, perhaps even "free" if the truth be known? There's exactly "zero" anyone can do to compete with that! Maybe that's why they've grown so huge so fast??
Air New Zealand has elected to keep its B767 fleet. And why not? It's a great aircraft. With the addition of the winglets that they now all have I've heard claims that on long flights their getting a saving of anywhere up to 15%. That's pretty impressive. The down side is that fitting winglets cost a cool million bucks US and theres a huge waiting list. So you are committed to keeping those aircraft for quite a few years if you want to make it pay.
With the 777 it comes down to how your putting the winds in the fmc and what cost index/level your using. It's the old story. BS in BS out. The fmc is only as good as the info "you" put in it. If you've got rubbish or inaccurate winds in and the fmc is telling you "climb now" that might not necessarily be so.
Flying higher is not always better. So many times I see guys force the aircraft up to some unrealistic level like 390 way before its planned because they think their gonna save fuel. "wrong" now you have an aircraft dragging itself through the air at a higher angle of attack and a lower Mach number burning "more" fuel. Remember the good ole days (those older pilots) we had and used "fuel, altitude, wind" charts? If you want to climb then you better have at least 20kts wnd advantage? (or whatever the chart indicated) if you didn't, then there was no point going there. We live in the "fmc" age now. Take the fmc away from some of these guys and theyll dam near on declair an emergency!!!
Common sense seems to be lacking? Or perhaps just a lack of knowledge? Hey it happens to us all. Experience is the key here. Time and hours and ton of flying. Those older guys you see around who flew 707's convairs, DC8's etc. you really need to sit down with those guys and have beers down route. If you want to learn something about operating an aircraft to its maximum performance/efficiency then go no further then one of those guys.
Taxing effectively can save you a few penny's too (and it will be penny's on the scale of things, but hey? Every little bit helps right?) how many guys do you know that jockey the throttles like their at brands hatch? Every time you push those taps open an ocean of fuel is getting sprayed in those burners! Not much point if 50 yards later all your gonna do is stomp on the brakes?! I know TRE/TRI's that will dam near knock you out if you do this. So don't. It makes you look like a clown and it's unnecessary. On a rolls Royce after brake release no more than 30% N1 is required. To achieve this move one throttle exactly one throttle top width, then simply match it with the other one. 30% every time.
She'll accelerate slow, but it's all you need.
On decent try and keep those taps closed. Do your level best to make it a game every time you fly. Taps closed, constant descent. (I know what your gonna say? Our "friends" in ATC arnt always up to this? Especially in India) but hey, if you do your bit, then the rest is out of your control. Use Vnav! It's your best friend! Don't just bash the thing into FLCH because your impatient. This is a smart airplane, it's worked out exactly when, where, and how much it needs to descend to get to those restrictions you've put in. ( don't get caught? Remember? BS in BS out?) ATC will not always play nicely either?! I've flown across the world to arrive at "bubin" in Dubai only to have the 2 ton of fuel I have meticulously saved on the flight to be blown in 10 mins by inefficient controlling. ( yes I know their busy) but that their in is one of the biggest problems.
Make your ATC as efficient as it can possibly be and see the savings on fuel? It's a win win for everyone. London Heathrow is a shining star on how it should be.
It's a dam pity other countries can't model themselves on this example.
I've raved on folks, but saving fuel money and time is something we can all do.
Carbon tax, penalties, etc etc is just governments making money. It's a band aid against a sea wall.
Airmanship my friends "Airmanship" more than a word. It makes the difference between a good pilot and a "great" pilot. Let it be "you"

Happy flying kerosene cowboys.