PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot training in the UK
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2012, 08:18
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further suggestions

Hi bober02,

Some of the clubs suggested to you above, while no doubt very good in terms of facilities and training standards, would be a ridiculous choice in terms of travelling time and transport cost. I feel you should reckon on a maximum of 90 minutes travelling time - tops.

Bearing in mind where you are based, I suggest you take a look at the clubs at Redhill, Lashenden/Headcorn and Biggin Hill. Of these, my own preference would be the Tiger Club at Lashenden/Headcorn; long established and with a good name, but there are good clubs at all three locations.

Someone has mentioned three axis microlight flying. I would strongly concur with this suggestion. The TAM aircraft are generally much more modern than Group A aircraft, cheaper to operate, more capable, nicer to fly and often much more roomy inside. The average club Group A aircraft was built in the eighties (or earlier), and has an engine dating back to the thirties.

Also, look out for clubs operating the new VLAs (very light aircraft). These too are much more modern than the average Group A spamcan and have all the advantages of the TAMs mentioned above, cost no more than a Group A to hire, and you can get a full PPL/NPPL on them.

Good luck.

Regards,

BP.