PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Elwood (melb) skydiving
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2012, 05:38
fencehopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been jumping since '75. Had more than several long hikes back when people thought they could 'cloud spot'. GPS definately make off DZ landings a smaller risk but it can still happen. The 'Through Cloud' exemption is usually only used in commercial tandem operations. Fun jumpers tend to avoid any cloud where they can lose eye contact with one another. I'm a big fan of 'looking before you leap' no matter who is spotting or where i am on the load. The earlier you know that you have been offed you can decide on how to correct it by tracking home early or opening higher.
if the is VH-MOO then it is the same operator that supplies our clubs aircraft and that we contract the tandooms to. His pilots and TM's are good and stick within the rules. Yes, still are some dodgy operators but they are all slowly being pulled into line by the APF and CASA. Most of the problems with them these days are how they pay their staff. ATO are onto that. Over the next month or so you will see MOO heard back north and WKD our clubs Cresco to take it's place. We are getting a Caravan big engined we hope. I want to say woohoo but i hate refuelling Caravans.
FH