PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Human facors - sarcasm on the flight deck
Old 4th Apr 2012, 01:12
John Citizen

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
or do you want to hire 10,000 hour pilots who you know will be howling at the ridiculous sops, theory, practices, etc. because they know better.
It is not because FO's knows better, it might be because occasionally an FO might know something (that is actually written in the manuals/latest memo's) that a Captain might not know.

I admit that I am not perfect and I also do not know the books verbatim. However occasionally an FO might know something the Captain might not know and vice versa.

Very often I fly with captains who don't follow SOP's and are not aware of recent amendments, and some of these amendments are well over 12 months old. They perhaps don't believe they need to study anymore because of their experience or otherwise are just too lazy to study. Quite often they will even enforce their own unique procedures and requirements upon you, which might not be written anywhere or might even contradict to what is written.

Now who thinks they know better ?

I don't bother trying to tell them as I would rather not come across as a cocky little know it all FO (as has been suggested here).

It would be against their pride to have an FO teach them something and they just would not take it well.

"Go with the flow and try your best to have an enjoyable day" is my philosphy.

One captain actually admitted to me that an FO might sometimes know more ("know better") than a captain. He said because an FO flies with different captains all the times, he might actually learn something from another captain that other captains do not know Whilst captains only fly with (dumb) FO's all the time and got nothing to learn from them (as some captains seem to think).

No doubt some FO's do have an attitude problem (as seen here on the first post) and perhaps don't know very much but this generalisation should not apply to all FO's. Some Captains aren't perfect either.

Last edited by John Citizen; 4th Apr 2012 at 03:35.