PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA asks for a R6-billion handout
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2012, 01:07
NextLegUndefined

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few thoughts:

The modern world doesn't apply to Africa.

Who will pay for Air France's massive loss this year?

Who will pay for KLM's massive loss this year?

Who will pay for Luftansa's massive loss this year?

The closure of SpanAir? Malev Airlines? Who do you think will pay for that?

Kingfisher and American Airlines going the same way? Maybe Quantas one day not too far away...?

SAA's income stream from operating in Africa is in relatively very weak currencies, yet bills are in strong currencies. SAA's chief international competitors are economically massive in comparison and can afford brutal price wars on routes and ambitious fleet replacements with new 787s, A380s, etc...

SAA is up against these and many other factors, including some despicable political interference by our own government, an unpresidented attempt at complete African airline industry domination by (government backed) Emirates, rising fuel prices on massive fuel quantities (relative to all other RSA airlines), increasing airport and industry taxes (EG carbon taxes in the EU, Heathrow charging 5 times normal taxes), escalating catering costs (a much smaller problem for low cost carriers), over-capacity on some routes and inefficient (old) aircraft as well as the restrictive access to highly-regulated markets outside of Africa.

It is not as well managed as a privately run business could be but it is of strategic importance to the country to have it, when it comes to growing tourism, new routes (and markets), diplomatic ties, trade agreements, etc...

How many South African aviation companies are operating a fleet of twenty or so wide body airliners up against these conditions?

What would happen to the pilot industry in RSA if SAA folded and 800 pilots (95% holding between 4000 to 25 000 hrs experience each) was to flood the market? And long term, what would be the effect of such a shrinkage in our aviation industry on flight schools, engineers, cabin crew training, and aviation management personnel development? It would all but kill it as the likes of Emirates and other big carriers would eventually dominate even the domestic market.

It burns tax payers no end to have to fund a business that should theoretically run on its own, no-matter what uniform that pilot/tax payer happens to be wearing. But over simplifying the problem into things like bad management, politicians and high pilot salaries is not hitting the nail on the head, in fact it just shows a lack of willingness to try and understand the complex answer.

I am willing to admit that the complex answer is beyond my scope of study and expertise as a pilot. But by writing, in this forum, generalised negative character traits in SAA pilots, the supposed 'rediculous pilot salaries' that are causing the airline to run at a loss, and coming up with other simplistic answers as to the cause of government funding of SAA is utterly useless. It does not generate understanding, stimulate debate or build knowledge. It is unintelligent and insultary.

I don't become a Marxist loving, corrupt politician when I put on my SAA uniform. I am not overpaid, my family live a modest lifestyle and I have very little money left at the end of the month because I believe in spending only what money I have. I also don't find myself sitting on holiday, I earn my monthly salary.

I would love to see SAA privatised, in an ideal world. But every day I am reminded that I chose to live in a beautiful but not-so-ideal world, called Africa.