PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 22:42
Icare9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Danny, those familiar with this thread will understand that somehow Reg and I forged a bond that spanned many years. I know nothing of the war years, but am filled with wonder that night after night "ordinary" men became heroes simply by taking off to take the fight to the enemy.

There are those, as in the Nuremburg thread, that argue about the motives, the strategy if you will, and whether what was done was right.

I cannot judge, but I do know that I question whether I would have done that, night after night, fly 4 hours into enemy territory, using fairly rudimentary aids to find a specific place, then settle down for a minute straight and level till "Bombs gone, Skip" and then find my way home again for another 4 hours, never being able to relax until touchdown. Then the wonder of whether friends on another aircraft made it home or not.

Cliff began this thread and many of us wonder why he has been silent. The reason is not too difficult to guess. He is fighting his hardest foe and I wish him success.

My heart was broken when Reg took his final flight and there is too much dust around tonight for me to see clearly but this thread must go on as a record not only of the training but also the SPIRIT of those men who daily (well, nightly) took the fight to the foe.

Cliff, I wish you well, you created a marvellous testament not only to yourself but for others who cannot voice their memoirs, and for those scarce few that have done so, we salute you.

You have ensured that the Torch of Remembrance has been successfully passed on. Rest easy and God speed.