PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 22:26
kbrockman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solely Gripens, I highly doubt that but a return to the old style of dedicated
fighters for dedicated tasks migh well be in the future.
Many countries (Like the Swiss are stil doing up until today) had at least 2 types of fighters, each for their specific tasks.
the Dutch/Norwegians operated the F104 side by side with the F5 as did the Canadians, in Belgium it was the Mirage 5BA and the 104, the Danish had the
F100, Drakens and F104.

The F16 was a succesful but ,limited in its roles, new fighter in the beginning of its career, with the very succesful MLU it became fully mature and eventually could fulfill all roles previously been done by 2 types all by itself.
Keep in mind though that it took a big effort and took quite some time to get at that point.

This is where the F35 strayed from a wel prooven path.
Once again, someone got the idea that it would be a good idea to program one fighter that fits all needs to all services from the getgo, and once again we now see that this has prooven to be too much of a burden.

Like I said ,I don't think the Dutch (or any other JSF partner) will ultimately go for a single alternative like the Gripen, this wouldn't make any sense.
But a more conservative approach would have been so much better, why not get an initial batch of 24-36 F35's and fully develop its capabilities in a couple of roles like Air Support, Strike, Reconn and get another cheaper and prooven alternative for all other tasks for the next 20 years (like F16V, SH, Gripen ,EF, Rafale or even F15's).
If by then the F35 turns into the new and versatile fighter, like today's F16's have become, than expand upon the force and make it a 1 type force for all tasks again.

If this adagio would have been followed I think that the risks would've been lower as would be the price, but I'm also sure that we would see how limited the F35 basic design (frame-aerodynamics, engine) really is.
I doubt it would've turned in to the new F16, it would probably look more like what the F104 ultimately turned out to be, a fundamentally flawed design limited in its use.