PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 22:20
Danny42C

Pilots Harness Release Lever.

Petet

I am sure Fred (#2461 p124) is right about this in his reply to Hipper (query #2455 p123). The "flexible pipe" he saw would be a Bowden cable. All single-seaters in later years had a four-point harness; the two shoulder straps were anchored to a cable behind the top of the seat. The cable ran back round a spring drum, which locked when fully "back" (like your car seat belt).

The pilot had this little release lever by the side of the seat; he needed it to reach the far corners of the cockpit (and that might be quite a way in the big American ones). When he straightened up, the cable ran back and locked (or at least that was the idea).

I know nothing of the "heavies", but would think that the presence of this
"release" proves that there were shoulder straps in the seat.

Fred and Chugalug,

Glad that my "Perils of Pauline" moment raised a smile or two - even after I managed to wriggle out of it! (Ah, those happy flea-pits of long ago!)

Chugalug,

Too right I kept quiet! I've always been a believer in the old adage : " better keep your mouth shut, and let people think you're a fool, than open it and prove it!"

Goodnight, all.

Danny.

"They can't do that to me!"
- "They can do anything to you lad, except put you in the family way - and they'll have a damn' good crack at that !"