PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good R22 and R44 self fly hire rates
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 19:07
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Ben,

For someone who indicated that any advice would be welcome you seem to be a bit sensitive if advice given does not suit you.

You need to be careful posting on here because you never know whether people are telling the truth about their situation. I have been in the helicopter industry for over 20 years: started on the R22, 2000+ hrs on Robinsons mostly instruction. Owned 2. Worked for a number of flying schools. Gone onto other things. Not flown a Robbo for over 10 years, but i don't think the cost of operating will have gone down.

I know nothing specifically about the company you mentioned, but I do know more than you about the costs of running helicopters, if you are a newbie as you say. Consider my advice as general rather than any comment on the particular company.

The operating costs are largely unavoidable and there is very little scope for running a SFH helicopter cheaper than the competition if we are talking about operations in Europe. There is also very little margin between the operating costs and SFH rates, so even if an operator chooses not to make a profit the SFH rate is unlikely to vary much.

There is perhaps one exception to this rule which is peculiar to the Robinsons. Because they get "rebuilt" on the basis of either a flight time or calendar time limit, you can get hold of some Robinsons which are close to needing a rebuild on the basis of Calendar time, but have a lot of flight time to run. In such cases, the "rebuild cost" element per flying hr WILL be much lower than normal. You might get such an aircraft a bit cheaper than normal, but the difference will not be great.

Finally, take a look on PPRUNE Rotorheads and look at the stories of other flying schools that have gone bust. You will see that many people in a position like yours have been suckered into paying ahead for some advantageous hourly rate. Understand that if you do that and the company concerned ceased trading you may lose a lot of money. Lots of people have.

Please feel free to accept my advice which could alternatively be summarised as "be careful" or you can do the other thing...........