PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avionics guys - what's in your bag?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 17:53
Ultranomad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avionics guys - what's in your bag?

Hello to everyone from the private flying forum!
To give some background, I have recently bought a single-engine piston aeroplane (a Grumman Tiger) with a fairly extensive kit of avionics, and have an arrangement to maintain it myself under the supervision of a licensed engineer (hopefully, one day this will accumulate enough experience for a B2 ticket). I am a radar maintenance engineer by military training and hold a master's degree in experimental physics, so I know my ways around an electronics workshop, but we don't have one yet at my base aerodrome, and even if we did, some diagnostics would have to be done onboard anyway. So, my question to avionics people - could you recommend any particular models of tools and instruments for a field service toolbox? From the very basics, like "third hand" devices and good circuit probes that won't slip off, to instruments like an oscilloscope and a test signal generator. I will have my laptop with me anyway, so USB dongles instead of standalone instruments would do quite nicely and save me some $€£, as I'll be paying for this out of my own pocket and the cost will have to be reasonably minimal. Thanks!

Last edited by Ultranomad; 3rd Apr 2012 at 20:12.