PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Utair ATR 72 Crash in Siberia
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 16:47
wilfredotour2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
similar crashes

The first officer survived. I want to see what he has to say. I don't know the background of the pilots of this accident, but it's usually pilots of old Russian airplanes that just upgraded to these newly acquired ATRs. I'm speculating by saying this about Russian pilots, however that's how it works in Cuba. In 2010 an ATR-72-212 operated by Aerocaribbean (CRN883), a Cuban airline, had an accident caused by a series of factors that took place. Icing condition was a factor, and pilot error was another factor. The captain, had a lot of experience in An-24 airplanes, which are old Russian turboprops that still operate in the island. The crew followed ATC instructions by banking to the right while he had an existing icing condition. By banking to the right he would be able to descend without the risk of colliding with a climbing airplane at 12 'O clock. When he banked, he stalled and got into a spin. He should have known better. He had already lost enough lift because of the ice buildup in the leading edge of the wings. Banking made the airplane loose more lift and stall. Complacency or poor training could have been a factor in his error.