PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C152 rudder lock?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 11:42
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
On the other hand, how often have you heard of a C 15x landing with the parking brake applied, or landing with no braking available because of misuse of the system? Or, landing with lots of braking, taxiing in, and applying the parking brake, which can weld the pads into place on the discs? Or leaving the brakes set, as someone tows the plane away. These are all easily accomplished in other types. The parking brake system of the 15x is undeniably simple, but if well maintained, and operated as intended, works adeqautely.

Mine works well every time I use it. I use it once a year, to be sure it works as required, at annual inspection time.

I am very nervous when right seat (often to a more experienced pilot), and see the parking brake applied, and then the engine(s) started, with little attention paid to the possibility of motion on the ground. It that case, I will then hold the brakes myself, until the other pilot takes control. If I am read the prestart checklist item "Parking Brakes Applied" I read back "Brakes applied" as I hold them.

Properly serviced aircraft brakes give you lots of stopping/holding ability for only a moderate investment in muscle. If I am in control of an aircraft with the engine(s) running, and I don't want it to move, I will be applying pedal pressure, having it chocked, or shutting it down. Your application of pedal pressure is your mental cue that you are in control of an aircraft under power, and you are resonsible for it.

If you feel that you lack the personal strength or endurance to hold the aircraft on the brakes for as long as you might have to, either consider improving your fitness, or arrange for a ramp assistant to provide and remove chocks.

If you have a long hold on a taxiway, aircraft should be pointed into the wind anyway, and most aircraft will hold at idle with only gentle brake application.