PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 11:29
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bit about Paypoints has been understood, in my opinion; the bit about seniority seems a little less clear - how would (assuming an agreement between the CCs was reached) it matter one jot to BA/IAG? It's been quoted to death on this forum that seniority & DOJ are not as closely related as some might think - why would there be an implicit cost to the airline if Joe Bloggs was No. 100 or 1000 on the list?
I would imagine that if the legal position would mean that if a BMI pilot were to join at 100 on the seniority list, therefore reflecting BMI length of service, BA would therefore also have to recognise that from a pay point of view, which is what they want to avoid. This is largely moot anyway as TUPE does not require this.

Also, with reference to the post above from Bad Bear, I would echo the desire to know the details of the two options that the bmi pilots will need to choose between (if the many posts on this subject on this & the BALPA forums are correct).

Some of which are:

The 'joining the bottom of the list' option -
What would be your DOJ?
What would be your PP? (would existing salary be maintained until your PP caught up?

The 'Ring fenced' option -
Does the 'ring fenced' group move up over time w.r.t. position on the MSL for bidline, etc?
Unfortunately, all of the above will also be moot unless the BMICC and BACC engage before talking to BA. If common sense comes to pass, what is likely is something akin to the following. Please do not take this as gospel:

Your DoJ for seniority purposes will be an arbitrary date. For example, 1st June 2012. Your BMI seniority will reflect the order in which you "join" on this date. i.e. the most senior BMI pilot will be top of the pile.

You will notionally be on pp1 for your seat however, your will retain your current BMI pay (TUPE) until your BA paypoint overtakes it.

The "ring fenced" option as discussed here is your worst option. In essence you will retain your BMI T&Cs related to TUPE and that is it. You will not be on a MSL "in order to progress upwards upon over time". This is why you need to engage with the BACC.

There are a number of points which can be negotiated upon (for example, perhaps monthly bidding rights or access to "BMI commands") but that relies entirely upon BMI reps having a sensible discussion with BACC reps before they go together with a plan to BA.

Does anyone see a pattern forming here?