PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 11:10
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
259 Avro Yorks were built, an " un-automated" aircraft, hardly dual-controlled. Between 1942 and 1969 a total of 87 " hull losses" were recorded. (I flew 2000+ hours on type. ( No hull losses !))

Aviation HAD to get safer.

Among the airliner stalls, Aero Mexico DC10 -30 lost 11,000ft. on initial climb before continuing. ( The A/P had been set for a rate of climb not possible when heavy and high.)

W. Caribbean MD82 lacked CRM, (the A/P tried to maintain cruising level when de-icing was selected, reducing thrust. The newish F/O was ignored.)

Reading more about China Air B747SP, I see that their Captains are not allowed to let First Officers do T/Os and landings until the Captain has 1000 hour in command on type. To keep the First Officers in practice extra simulator sessions are given to them, monthly. Is this a good idea, and if so is it done in the West, too ?

( My last session in a Link Trainer was arranged so that I did NDB approaches at two different Middle East airfields with similar patterns. Boxes were ticked, even then!)

Last edited by Jetdriver; 5th Apr 2012 at 02:48.