PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 10:45
Gibon2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But, before all that is happening you would have been climbing merrily away as the auto-thrust would have gone into alpha-floor mode causing the engines to produce go-around thrust. It is not enough to put the throttles to idle to prevent this from happening, you will have to disconnect the auto-thrust.
Ha ha ha - well, I told you you were doomed! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, indeed.

the aircraft would maintain a constant angle of attack which most likely will result in a phugoid where the aircraft will pitch up and down as the speed increases and decreases
So the alpha-protection doesn't inhibit phugoid? If I did manage to disconnect the autothrust and idle the engines, the alpha-protection would still work through the flight control surfaces, right? What I'm aiming for is a kind of stall-protected glider (as in the Hudson ditching). Sorry for the dumb questions: obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about, but still curious. Thanks.