PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The LAA forum
Thread: The LAA forum
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 10:36
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having been "on the internet" since the days of 1990s Compuserve (remember 1200 baud dial-up?) and its stuffy forums where everybody was forced to appear under the full name of their credit card account (i.e. zero anonymity) I much prefer anonymous forums.

It's true that non-anon forums are more civilised but at the same time almost nobody posts there if the topic is even remotely political or controversial. And a lot of stuff in aviation that is useful to know is also controversial.... you could start with strategies on flight in icing conditions for example. Aviation is very political at times too. It is an awfully small scene in the UK... which also means that anybody who posts something nasty will be rumbled quickly because somebody will know him from where he flies from.

In most cases, if you really want to, you can work out the identity of a regular poster using google and other things, and anyway p p r u n e will be logging the IPs so it would be unwise to write something that is seriously bad (libel etc).

The PPL/IR forum, which someone mentioned, is mostly non-anon, with a policy whereby new members are requested to show their full name, but it has only about a dozen or so posters who ever write anything useful. It's a good forum if you want to ask a very technical question concerning regulation re IFR issues, but I found that otherwise anything controversial is jumped on by one of two individuals and the resulting argument is then deleted by the admin. When I was contacted about changing my nickname there to my full name, I said I would agree so long as all my previous posts are deleted, and they let it go. I rarely post there nowadays, because if I want to get some sort of response to a question one needs to post it a lot more widely, and likewise if one wants to draw attention to some regulatory issue. It is a members-only forum but anybody paying the £60 membership can join and read all the past posts, and this did once result in all kinds of legal threats (without apparent basis but unpleasant) from one well known aviation individual after he joined, and that was a big lesson for all after which the postings there dropped right down. The vast majority of PPL/IR members don't appear to access the forum there.

Here, most regulars know who I am which is fine. In fact I have met a fair % of them at one time or another. I also wouldn't write anything which I know is wrong or libellious. But the superficial anonymity does help protect you from somebody googling on your full name and getting tons of stuff on you.

The best aviation forums (for getting technical information, anyway) are American. They are all web based, and are the successors to the rec.aviation.* Usenet groups which were superb, and never equalled. All of these are anonymous. Go figure, as they say...

If you contact somebody privately, they give you their name anyway - first name at least. I recall only one exception in all the years. That bloke, an occassional poster here, signs his emails as Webmaster@..., and is prob99 a programmer who is working for some company while advertising his services on a website (which also doesn't reveal his name, bizzarely!) and he is playing it very carefully

The other thing is that if you enforce full names, people just make them up. This is what happens on the Socata owners forum (which also suffers from ludicrous moderation and almost nobody on there writes anything new and useful). I know a load of people there personally and some use made-up surnames. Pointless.

Last edited by peterh337; 3rd Apr 2012 at 10:51.