PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 01:32
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
@ PJ and 'nuts

Yeah the long response bothers/surprises me, too.

Knowing what we do now, I guess we could "cheat" and crank that THS to the other end to help the pitch moment. Unlike the Viper, the AF jet had a decent cee gee at the time of the incident.

Seems that Doze also tried a recovery in the sim, that right Doze? We need a refresher of your findings.

@RR

I sure hope the human factors is given attention in the findings and recommendations. I still fault the crew, but I empathize with them to some extent due to the warnings and displays they dealt with.

My civilian job was designing and implementing crew displays, and secondly weapon control algorithms to be implemented in part by the crew and mostly by the confusers. Think JDAM, AMRAAM, Maverick, Hellfire, Harpoon, etc.

I also think a HUD would have helped immensely, as the FPM would have been at the bottom of the display even tho the pitch attitude was nose high. Being a HUD-a-holic since 1971, I simply loved that display. Being far-sighted, I didn't have to squint to read the steam gauges on a serious instrument approach.