PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 20:21
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HN39;

First, I debated long and hard on a decision to contribute the sim experience at all, and not for the obvious reasons of potential misunderstanding etc,...it was a personal exercise with colleagues who in one case are equally interested and who are in a good position to teach others who fly this aircraft and in another case those who for other reasons are interested in the outcomes. But the more I read from the current discussion the greater some contribution seemed to be of value especially since at least two other experiences have been noted. I wanted to give a sense of the event from initial loss of airspeed through the pitch-up/apogee and holding the stick back so the stall was truly "set", and then the recovery characteristics. It is by no means definitive but I think it is sufficient.

The sim has the ability to record its traces. However, arrangements like these are almost always ad-hoc and time for preparation is at a premium with training schedule demands and hours of availability and coordinating with the technicians to obtain materials after is for various reasons an uncertain process.

There isn't time for note-taking in the moment but other recording methods were used. Still photos from an earlier session were helpful but are not complete nor do they give a sense of situation. Videoing is more helpful but doing it well requires close coordination and ideal circumstances; - covering all instruments and in a timely/relevant way is a challenge!

In my non-engineering view, the sim "behaved" as I expected the airplane might. I don't have experience with the Cooper-Harper scale although I am familiar with it and my own characterizations of the airplane were probably generous. The warning and cautions which accompanied the CAS and ADR failures were less distracting than I had anticipated. The loss of two hydraulic systems or the Emergency Electrical configuration is vastly more complex, demanding and challenging for a two-pilot crew. I don't know how to post audio files, (except through links to YouTube - SoundCloud doesn't provide links) just to demonstrate what the Stall warning sounds like but it was hard to ignore. Also, it was not possible to set aside hindsight so it was not possible to be "confused" by the various behaviours.