PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO turn back
Thread: EFATO turn back
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 16:17
Capt W E Johns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair cop, I wouldn’t expect anything less around here!!
I am interested in your experience with the CT4/B. In particular:

• Given you were above 700FT AGL, were you turning crosswind or still upwind?
• What average AoB did you achieve?
• What IAS were you targeting?
• Flaps up or at ˝?
• Were you 1 or 2 POB, and what was your fuel load?
• What airfield/s were you practicing at?
Hi CSD, to answer those in order, and without being facetious (these are my best recollections of the -B in 1998):
  • We flew an oval circuit, commencing the x-wind turn at 500 AGL. The 700' figure you mention is a number I suggested as giving sufficient reaction time to execute a turnback, even with a straight upwind leg. A <strong>planned and briefed</strong> EFATO was workable from 500' still on centreline. Anything after that turn was commenced is gravy.
  • AOB? Dunno, didn't look at the AI. Light buffet, manoeuvre looking out the window. AOB depends on the wind really - a good stiff crosswind does wonders for that last turn to line up with the runway (provided your first turn is away from the crosswind)
  • IAS 85kts
  • Clean until approaching the flare
  • Can't really remember, but those profiles were generally solo with 2/3 gas or more
  • A nice wide 6500' blacktop! On a quiet and calm wind day we could request turnbacks time after time, effectively flying dumbells to the duty runway and then its reciprocal. Golden hours, hugely valuable training and practice.
Now please don't take this wrong - I am not suggesting that a turnback is an easy, or safe, or even desirable option in all circumstances. But a considered, planned and briefed EFATO turnback exercise is a great way to learn about your airplane improve your own ability. And who knows, one day when everything else is poop, you might just be able to pull that particular tool of your your toolbox and walk away.

Safe flying.