PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI REGIONAL-2
Thread: BMI REGIONAL-2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 13:57
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brian_dromey
I think there is, perhaps, an opportunity for Regional to work with the new slots for EDI and ABZ to LHR under the VS banner, they will need to lease some larger equipment in the short-term, though.
But what benefits does Regional bring to this scheme compared with any other operator which already has larger aircraft (let's say 737/A320) on its AOC? Regional doesn't have the right aircraft or crews, and the brand is irrelevant because it'd be Virgin.

or constructing a deal with IAG that is similar to Sun-Air, basically franchise model.
I agree that a franchise model goes a long way to solving branding issues. But it's not a panacea - you still need a workable and defensible network, as well as a motivation for the franchisor to want to be involved. It would not surprise me if there has been some element of BA cooperation (maybe not all the way to franchise) envisaged in the Granite deal - but if that can't get off the ground, why would a pure franchise proposal work, and why would BA be interested given their withdrawal from the regions?

I don't think the ERJ 135/145s would remain for long, but cityFlyer has a number of ERJ-190 options it could exercise, if so desired.
But for what? If Regional were integrated into CityFlyer, it seems fair to assume that they would no longer be operating their existing hub-feeder routes for Lufthansa. So what is left that CityFlyer would want to pick up with larger aircraft? (Alternatively: if they got the fleet for free, could CityFlyer do something else out of LCY with the E135s?)

Sorry, Brian, I don't mean to shoot you down, and I (like you) am really trying to see a good solution for the current situation - I'm just (personally) not convinced that any of the above are particularly robust alternatives. I hope that I am proven wrong.