PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed here
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 11:43
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Firstly, could I suggest just going back into your original post and changing the title to make it a bit more informative.

Secondly, if you are a poor student, you are going to have a serious issue with an aeronautical engineering degree. It is 3-5 years of very hard work, and the maths in particular is extremely demanding. Yes, having done ATPL writtens will help you, but is far from essential. And yes, there will be some programming - what packages and how much will vary between universities.

Third - how many people's opinions is it that you don't have the skills to be a pilot? Just because you didn't do well with one or two instructors does not necessarily mean that you can't do well in a flying career. I was chopped from RAF flying because my instructor decided that I was useless. I now have a CPL, and test pilot and instructors qualifications.

That all aside have you considered possibly training as a dispatcher? This will use your ATPL knowledge but does not require the hard academics that an aero-eng degree would do.

Or there are some fascinating military flying roles - have a look at the recruiting brochures for your country's air force, which don't require pilot skills. WSOs, loadmasters, fighter controllers...

If it's just the complexity of big aeroplanes that you have trouble with, have you looked at light aircraft instruction?, commercial balloon flying? There are many roles out there which are professional flying, but not airline flying.

G