PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pushing my luck - C.I SVFR / Night / Viz
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 11:27
LeeP-PA28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pushing my luck - C.I SVFR / Night / Viz

Guys

Just a quick one - I want to make sure I am "legal" in the respect of a SVFR flight, at night in the Channel Islands Class A airspace.

By definition, there is no VFR at night in the UK and no VFR allowed in Class A. Period.

So to fly through CTA (D) at night in the UK I either need to have an IR or IMCr to fly IFR, or accept a SVFR clearance. SVFR being in sight of land / clear of cloud and with 10km viz - my IMCr reduces this to 3km viz but still in sight of the ground. Within the UK and CTA (D) I can fly IFR thanks to my IMCr.

Now - I have flown to Jersey many a times now, mostly IFR to the zone boundary and been given a clearance not above 3000ft SVFR at ORIST.
A lot of the time, I've had to descend to 1500ft to keep visual with the sea (!) which is never much fun but that is a limitation imposed on me by not having an IR.

My question is: can I fly SVFR at night in Class A - and if so, my IMCr still allows me to fly down to 3km viz?

I am not saying I would be awfully happy flying in at 3km viz, over the sea, at night - but from a legality perspective - is my understanding correct?

Thanks all - brain fart here :d

Lee