PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it?
Thread: Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 10:12
winyadepla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi jacol,

There can be a lot of negativity on PPRuNe but there is also an awful lot of useful knowledge on here. Sometimes I get a bit disaffected reading the forums but then you come across a gem of a piece of advice which is well balanced and paints both sides of the picture well. With the number of CPLs issued by the CAA each year I'm sure that not all of them will have found employment. Hopefully those who continue to pursue a flying career will do at some point. Heck, I may end up on the unemployed pilot list at some point but I am going to try hard not to be on it too long.

Is it worth it? I can't really answer that for you. It is a personal decision and something that you will have to answer for yourself. Weigh up the pros and cons, draw up a list of each. Flying, for me, has involved sacrifices. I see friends going on holiday to nice places or buying nice houses but for me it is all about the flying, which I very much enjoy, so it doesn't really bother me.

I can tell you this though, I don't envisage flying as a glamorous career as some people who wear those rose tinted spectacles do. It's damned hard work and I haven't even finished the instrument rating yet. I believe the hardest part is still to come …. finding a job and keeping it!

If you haven't already done so then go get your Class 1 medical at Gatwick. It's a game changer if they wont give you one.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.