PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it?
Thread: Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 09:39
Jazzchill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand your position, and the eagerness to fly professionally. Believe me, I do. But please do not let that interfere with good judgement. I know a lot of people who don't find any job once they have finished training. Those that do, fly for companies that suck the joy out of their flying carreer.

Maybe you will find a job, but what price are you willing to pay? Is flying that much fun that you are willing to give up on things like job security and a stable social life? Living in a country that you actually like?
I was lucky, because I began flying for a major airline some 12 years ago, but as Dylan sang 'Times they are a changing'... Chances are I won't retire flying for this airline.

I write this reply from a compound in Saudi Arabia, not because I live here, but just on lay-over. If I were religious, I would thank god on bare knees that I don't have to live and work in this part of the world, that thrives on modern slavery and oppression of other cultures, women etc. But if you would finish your training now, you would not have the luxury to refuse working in such countries. In fact, you would be glad that you got the chance. But then what? Do you really think that after a few years and a few 1000 hours, you'll be able to return to a major airline? If you would be so lucky, you would have to join back at the end of the line, way down on the seniority list.

If I ask myself the question 'Is it worth it?' knowing what I know now, given the current situation in aviation, a strong 'hell NO!' would be my answer. Hate to rain on your parade, I really do, but be smart. And if you like flying, go get a job that pays well, get your PPL, and have fun! The reason why sarcasm rules on PPrune is that a lot of people started flying because it was fun, only to realize that there is a dark side to this profession as well...

All the best with your future decisions!