PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia going JAR?
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2002, 12:08
Genghis the Engineer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
JARs and FARs are simply sets of requirements, and there are an awful lot of them. If you go to the "useful links" page on "tech-log" you'll find links to most of them. They are interpreted within national systems, sometimes differently.

For most of the main standards there is in-fact a joint JAA-FAA committee somewhere trying to converge the standards, or at-least understand what each other are up to. So, in the long run, I don't think it matters much which way a particular country goes since in most issues they'll end up using pretty much the same book.

The big issue really is how a particular national authority elects to use the JARs. A classic balls-up was the UK CAA treatment of JAR-FCL (Flight Crew Licensing) which after some years is still giving most people a lot of grief. On the other hand, the use of JAR-22 (gliders and motorgliders) has been a complete success in ever country I've dealt with. JAR-23 and FAR-23 (normal, utility and aerobatic aeroplanes) are virtually identical (so long as you have no more than 2 engines anyway), BUT it's very clear that the UK and US (for example) treat them with occasionally very different rigour.

So, I would suggest to Australians, speaking from a JAR country, that it'll make no real difference. What's important is CASA's treatment of your industry, which is a totally separate issue.

Incidentally, I've heard rumours that with the advent of EASA, JARs may in-time become ECARs (European Civil Aviation Requirements), although I doubt that anything but the cover sheet and reference number is likely to really change.

G