PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 08:41
Jamieone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of those that I would recommend:

Enemy Coast Ahead. Guy Gibson VC, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar. I'm not sure of the extent to which this was 'ghostwritten' but I think it's an excellent read. Apart from the Dams Raid, Gibson's accounts of earlier raids, particularly at the beginning of the war are fascinating. Mine is a very well-thumbed copy of an edition published in the mid-50s, I have a feeling it was highly censored even after the war. Was an unabridged version ever published?

Matterhorn. Karl Marlantes. I picked this up in Singapore enroute to Vietnam on holiday without realising the pedigree of the author and exactly how highly rated the novel was when it was originally published. It's staggeringly good. Suffice to say on some of the trips to the DMZ, Vinh Moc tunnels etc. I felt like I was accompanied by an extra tour guide. Chilling in parts.

The Last Enemy. Richard Hillary. I would recommend it to anyone based on its status as a work of literature alone but given the military aviation context it's well worth a look.

Bomber. Len Deighton. I always thought this would make an excellent film in addition to the radio adaptation.

My father's secret war. Lucinda Franks. A fascinating memoir of the effect of war on family relationships.