PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use ASIC for upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 08:20
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Define 'use'.
Not a trick question.

Arguably, 'use' means to use it to gain access to an area that you would otherwise be prohibited from entering, such as the apron or baggage makeup area.

The other argument is that 'use' also includes wearing the thing around your neck, even in an area such as an unrestricted domestic departure lounge where there is no actual advantage to doing so. Again arguably, that's not 'using' it, as you are not exercising your ASIC privileges by displaying the card. You're not getting anything or going anywhere you wouldn't without it. What's the unlawful intent?

Defrauding the airport coffee shop is more of a community service , and many airport businesses such as Travelex have a relaxed approach to 'staff' discounts even if you tell them you're not actually working. If the 'only on duty clause' was applied to the letter, everyone could be busted for wearing them while on the way home in uniform, and dashing into the shops. That's not happening.

Either way, unless the shiny, happy people at OTS have recently changed their views, it hasn't been on their radar as a serious issue. While Customs are good at breathing fire and brimstone, have they actually charged anyone with this offence as a standalone? Also not a trick question. I'd be interested if anyone knows of a case, and even if none exists I certainly wouldn't push them on the issue.

P.S. I still think it's pooncey, a bit like getting dressed up in a pilot's uniform to go to the shops the day after you pass GFPT.

Last edited by Worrals in the wilds; 2nd Apr 2012 at 08:36.