PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO turn back
Thread: EFATO turn back
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 04:01
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well done.

Did you try with flaps? I am half guessing your reference to 'pushing' to unload indicated you were, to some extent, 'ballooning' around the turn due flaps extending?

If not try with flaps - don't 'push' to unload just don't haul back hard enough to stall. I would suggest if you could have measured the forces on the stick you were not actually 'pushing', even though it felt like it compared to the amount of pull you're used to in a normal steep turn.

When I was learning this manouver 30 years ago we used to, purely for fun, see how hard we could pull around the turn. We got to the point we were in light buffet the whole way around...it resulted in some impressively small numbers. There is NO practical application of that method in my view - but as a pure handling exercise it had merit - and, most importantly, was great fun.

At the end of the lesson did your student have a bigger smile than usual and say something like "Thanks heaps, that was awesome"

Runaway Gun.

Those clip on 'sash' harnesses are indeed not great. That is why I pulled them out of my Bo and have '4 point' inertia reels that mount in the roof to install when the time comes in the restoration.

I am just too used to 4 point inertia reel harnesses. If I was going into trees in the Tiger Moth I would indeed be hauling down on the tensioners - I had a think about where they were anchored and that point is well below my shoulders. Compressed spine - Not good

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 2nd Apr 2012 at 04:13.