PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2012, 21:47
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Engines,
Totally agree about weights etc on these old carriers and I'm sure I used to watch the Sea Vixen drop a few feet before gaining air speed, but with this EMALS system are we also talking about no wind over the deck? In my opinion the only way you will achieve this is by having a stationary ship on a day with no wind or a moving ship travelling in the same direction as the wind.

This is Ark Royal travelling at speed, although looking at that image I would not think she is flat out... However that is immaterial as look how calm the seas are, yet look at that spray coming over the bow?? I respect what you are saying but only the VERY biggest of ships could cruise at high speeds without the upper deck getting 'wet'

On Centaur just like all other British carriers of that era we would always steam into the wind at flying stations but as I said earlier there was no way we could get anywhere near 28knots and if there was a slight swell then fast speeds would mean at the very least huge amounts of spray coming over the bow!. Having said that wee needed wind over the deck to take off and recover our aircraft.

Just noticed Boffin's post and I TOTALLY concur, plus of course regarding landings.. That wind speed was just as important and for the new 'traps', I am sure the same things will apply..