PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2012, 18:48
roulishollandais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop Origin of the 7400 FT for recover

Hi PJ2,

Warning : Machinbird called many times to high vigilance about this calculation. I agree totally to the calculation but also to the warnings, and here is copy of his last warning.
Originally Posted by Machinbird
Dutchroll, these were speculative numbers for a last minute escape from the full stall. The pullout is dependent on achieving near maximum performance, and the stall recovery altitude/time is entirely speculative. The emphasis should be on speculative. Remember, this is for near maximum performance. Without an AOA indicator, I see no way to come close to these numbers. OK465 seems to believe it will be a problem teaching people when and if to add some power during pullout to improve performance. He is probably correct.

My intent in coming up with these speculative pullout figures is to remind people who may be in similar situations to not give up! You might think you are toast, but keep thinking and keep flying to the limits of your ability. You just might get a pleasant reward. The light at the end of the tunnel is not always a train.
You will find most of the details of the 7400 FT calculation, iin these Thread 7, posts :

- Hazelnuts39 #945 (phugoid)
- Machinbird #950 "10,000 feet is about the last point one could hope to begin recovery"
- Machinbird #955
- Hazelnuts39 #960
- Machinbird #962

The result is :
with begin of recovery at 10 000 FT
-5 000 FT (max) (for unloading the wing)
- good performance with 0.15% thrust for recovery :
loss of height = FL100-FL76)= 2 400 FT

Finally the total loss of height is - 5 000 - 2 400 = - 7 400 FT