PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2012, 18:09
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Roll PIO and such

TNX for the support, PJ. Ya gotta head south this summer and sip a brew on my deck in Colorado. same for the 'bird.

Seems the 'bird is still positing a roll PIO and concentration on that while pulling back on the stick. The jet appears to have done a slow turn to starboard until impact, regardless of pilot stick commands. Can't find any trim for roll in the 'bus manuals you have provided, but looks like the jet simply commands zero roll rate if you let go of the stick in the roll axis. Is that right? My little jet had that "hat switch" on top of the stick, so you could actually command some roll rates even with "hands off". Same for baseline gee.

I fully understand the lack of training in post-stall recovery in the actual airplane, especially at high altitude. I also understand that many pilots have a problem recognizing the mach buffet compared to stall entry indications unless they have experienced both in a real airplane, but seems to me that a sim could implement some "shakers" and "buzz" things to help. My bent wing experience before the Viper helped me to see the difference, and yeah, it was "feel" and "touch". OTOH, my straight wind experience in two jets that could reach the critical mach without being in a steep dive was more interesting - wing rock, aileron buzz and even aileron reversal due to the shock wave effects, nose tuck that could not be overcome without speed brakes and reduced power ( elevator couldn't work due to the shock wave). Not fun at all.

After two years here, I am leaning back to my original position about the jet being in a stall all the way down. Not the classic "deep stall" as we see in the Viper and the T-tail airliners, as I originally suspected. Seems the 'bus has plenty of nose down pitch authority even with the THS cranked to the stop.

I still have trouble believing it would take more than 10,000 feet to recover from the stall they were in. Speed was above 100 knots actual dynamic pressure, and just reducing the AoA to zero for a few seconds should have produced useable lifties from the wings. So I figure a recovery in less than a minute and at 20,000 feet or so. The lower the plane got, the easier the recovery due to reduced mach and increased air density.

The mass of the airliners was a lot more than anything I ever flew, so I can imagine things taking longer, but not 35,000 frigghin' feet. I also understand that entry to an unusual flight condition would present problems recovering before getting into real trouble. Good old momentum and such. We called it "overshoot", but our control surfaces were lots larger for our gross weight than any commercial airliner.

Am waiting for the "final" report and recommendations. Will be disappointed if the human factors are not addressed, and not just training, but the displays.