PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigeria whats going On..!!!
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2012, 15:56
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April Fool!

Very funny parody of a racist rant, that one! I was almost fooled, until I checked the date. I just hope everyone else takes that as a joke.

There are plenty of people in Nigeria with ability. After all, there are about 150 million of them there, when they cannot all be losers.

The problem is that, all too often, it is some total muppet whose daddy made off with a lot of money, or whose uncle is in the ministry, who decides that Ray-Ban look is the one to go for. They show up all tricked out with a US FAA licence that isn't worth the paper it's written on, after having wasted everyone's time in some crummy little flight school in East Podunk, Alabama. Then they get a Nigerian ATPL.

Those licences are, legally, just as good as your own. Nobody can tell the diffo between the local who really has his act together and the one who wants to kill you through sheer lack of ability, plus, often, an arrogant refusal to learn. In the same way, you can be looking at a very pretty aircraft, when nobody knows that its engines are timed-out and that its last inspection was just pencil-whipped, if it even was done at all.

A lot of the locals who were good took the chance to go abroad, just another aspect of the Nigerian 'brain drain.' Next time you are flying with Virgin Atlantic, say, try telling one of the flight crew that he's not qualified to 'operate heavy machinery.' Maybe you can get an upgrade to First Class that way!