PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BFTS JP Syllabus
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2012, 11:11
Wwyvern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't fly an RAF JP, having trained on the Provost T1. I did fly civvy JPs, the MK 1, 3 and 5A, though, and never saw a syllabus..

I came across a photocopy of the "Instructors' Handbook for the Provost T1", if there is anything of interest in there.

As there is drift on to instructional techniques, as a student and later QFI, I learned that the instructor's technique differed in line with the student's needs. One of my PP instructors found that I needed "encouragement" to learn. He used to take the crowbar from the left side of the student's seat, hold it on his lap, and, when he deemed it necessary, would wap he on the left side of my bonedome. I had to explain the dents when I handed it back to stores.

As a Hunter student, the most memorable info I received from an air-to-air gunnery instructor was, "Hold the joystick like you hold your c**k." It seemed to work, as my end of course report awarded me "Above Average" in gunnery. I often wondered what that said about me.

As a Chipmunk instructor, I had a stude who, whenever turning left, would pull the nose up.
This was because, when he looked left, he automatically pulled back on the control stick. Despite pointing this out to him, he continued this error. To try to remind him, whenever we turned left, I would lean forward and strike him on the base of his neck with my extended fingers. This worked in the beginning, but he then learned that if he moved his head forward, I couldn't reach him. However, this had the effect of him pulling the stick back harder, as he pulled himself forward. We eventually got around that by my reeling him in by his pigtail and bashing his head on the coaming between the cockpits. We eventually compromised:- I'd stop physcally abusing him if he would fly level turns to the left. No, that technique was NOT taught at CFS. This stude went on to be something big in the CAA.