PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 1st Apr 2012, 08:18
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OneFifty
Alexrey, you seem to want to ignore answers which you don't want to hear.
Alex, you have done it again. You have ignored the hints regarding when and why and how longb you have wanted to join the RAF.

Originally Posted by OneFifty
you DO NOT need a degree to join as a pilot. Once you have the GCSEs and A-levels, (or equivalents) it is your performance at OASC which determines your competitiveness.
You have ducked the issue about your basic educational qualifications. I don't know their equivalences but I am sure OneFifty does.

The point about degrees and life-style choices has been made several times earlier in this thread. The chances of any one applicant being accepted as an officer candidate are vanishingly small - you see that was true of pilot candidates that were made redundant before completing training.

The RAF actually prefers a mix of pre-university and graduates. The former tend to be younger, more flexible, have greater potential for development, and are in the system longer before age 30 with excellent chances of promotion. Your graduate on the other hand should have gained valuable life skills and had more opportunities to prove or improve leadership and skills. The advice though was that the actual degree did not matter and a candidate would have better chosen a course with a view to a career outside the RAF lest they fail to be selected.

Other things you have not questioned are your fitness levels, medical fitness and your body build. Your legs may be too long; your arms too short; you may be outside the weight range. Can you swim, run etc etc.

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 1st Apr 2012 at 08:28.