PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - WHERE TO NOW?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2012, 06:36
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shon 7, the people would probably react the same way as they did when Gillard announced yet another legup for the car industry, but as the car industry, namely Holden, did not offer any compensation for the money like increased productivity, in fact the car unions on upon hearing the wonderful news immediately asked for a pay rise! So the public are not exactly enamoured by "leg ups" to any industry. Qantas perhaps might be treated a little differently, perhaps nationalisation would be again considered, perhaps not, and in reality Holden and Qantas are and were almost partners in Australia's growth, from the end of the WW2 to the nineties and beyond. As for QF international who knows what money they do or do not make, it is not clear, and many believe money made is siphoned off into JQ, that the truth is not being told, in fact too many believe it for it not to have some basis. Be in no doubt the plan since Dixon was to destroy the QF we know, to hand the basis of it over to the "joey" where the same job can be done for nix compared to QF, whether they planned to totally destroy QF or leave it as a" boutique" airline, only they know, but they will do what they think they can get away with, of that you can be certain, unless some clear thinking individual comes along who believes QF is and should remain the national carrier, and run it accordingly. The next two years will be telling. If I was a S/O now for QF I would cut it and run, if I wanted to stay in OZ I would head to JQ, even if it was a DRW basing or whatever, adjust the families lifestyle to the new wage, (you are still not going to starve) and hope for a command in the next ten years. My second youngest is about to do just that, and I don't blame her one moment, in fact I encouraged it. Its a gamble but then so is life, and once done you can then settle to a new career, instead of looking over your shoulder. This is of course a intensely personal decision, but she is sick of not being sure anymore, its not what she hoped for, or expected, but she is only twenty six with no dependents (well, one cat) and her life ahead of her. This is not to encourage others to follow her, far from it, but it is a action that reflects where QF is today, and never was before, it would have been a unthinkable action even 10 years ago.