PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX Runway Incursion Taree 23/03/2012
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2012, 05:00
Ozgrade3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking as humble lowly Grade 1 instructor, who flies into ports with regional RPT traffic on a daily basis I can say 99% of the RPT are prety cool and professional. A few have gone out of their way to accomodate us when my student is nervous or fumbles a bit as is the norm for early nav training. Many thanks to those guys, both Qlink and Rex.

Personally, I allways try to stay out of the way of the RPT or charter guys, i understand the time pressure you guys are under. It isnt much of an impost for me to change HDG by 10 deg or hold a level to allow the bigger guy a clear run in or out. I also try to instill this thinking into my students.

Ive also had Rex and QF tell me they will hold a level to allow me a clear run out, this is helpful when my levels are limited due to cloud. That was much appreciated as well.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Most student pilots are **** scared of RPT. A student or weekend warrior can fall in a heap if an RPT barges in with non standard calls, being agressive etc. Good radio procedures and some courtesy can greatly lower a students anxiety and prevent a mental overload cockup on the part of the student.

Standard radio calls are vital, many students in VIC and NSW are not native English speakers. " taffic XYZ, SAAB xxx is outbound on the NDB letdown......................." tells the student nothing. Your bearing and distance/alt from the field is much more useful.

If you hear someone on the CTAF whos voice is obviously not a native English speaker, speak slow clear and concise. If they dont understand your call, they ignore it. However, if the student knows where you are, what you are about to do and communicate, they are pretty good.

Occasionally you get a RPT driver who will push in, entering the runway to backtrack when you are turning final, even after I've made numerous calls. I understand you need to get going, talk to me, I can extend my downwind, slow down etc to give you a chance to get away. But to ignore my calls and then push in is just rude. Yes, us lowly bug smasher guys have a job to do too.

Overall, the system works pretty well, especially when everyone helps each other out. Thats what I love about this industry.