PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2012, 04:00
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Yaw versus roll

Salute!

The Colorado Springs disaster was, indeed, sad. Also lost another jet of the same type near Pittsburgh if I am not mistaken. The stoopid rudder actuator would stick and only a determined effort punching the pedals could offer any hope of recovery. Sad, sad, sad.

(flew into the Springs and out last week and that crash was on my mind)

Folks here that have never flown a swept wing to the edge of the envelope and beyond may not appreciate how important yaw control is. "Retired" can tell all about that when flying the Phantom - lock stick between legs and only use rudder to roll the sucker to counter adverse yaw, and the jet is shaking and the buffet is very severe. Didn't have that problem in the Deuce due to basic aero characteristics of a delta, nor in the Viper- aero and flight control systems much better in the late 70's and 80's.

I side with PJ and RR for the most part. Training and the human interface are two factors that must be addressed by the 'bus folks and the BEA report. I will take PJ's experience in the type over anybody else here. I will take my own experience in 5 or 6 jets over anyone else here, as well.

late here in Florida, and gotta go.

Gums