PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 31st Mar 2012, 19:48
Flying Wild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by No walkover
Fair play Callsign Kilo and from your posting, I can see that no harm was intended on your part.

Fingers crossed this can all be worked through swiftly and as previously mentioned by looking at the fact that there IS potential for a huge medium to long term ADVANTAGES to many and not focussing on the very subjective and transient DISADVANTAGES to a few.

Now that LH and IAG can take a deep breath after the EU news, both parties but espcially LH should be looking at serious options for Baby and Regional. These companies have REAL potential. Lufty need to really pull out all the stops to consider every possible option, rather than resting on laurels now that the LHR deal is secured.

Perhaps they have been working hard behind the scenes, if so they need to be communicating this more regularly with the staff. These are loyal hardworking professionals who have maintained the exisiting BMI reputation as a major UK player in the airline industry and they deserve better.
Let's face it. DLH had ample opportunity to fight the BMI corner once they took the group on. Radical changes were required at the outset to stem the massive losses. Nothing substantial was done and now look at where we are. DLH only have their own interests at heart now, as do IAG. They are out to do the best for their shareholders, they couldn't give a damn about the people working for baby or regional. The bottom line is profit. Losses interest nobody.

Originally Posted by No walkover
The real discussion point though should be about how to make Baby and Regional attractive options to potential purchasers or even to BA in order to minimise job losses.
Bare in mind that this isn't a sale of baby. Prospective suitors will be paid to take the company on! Nobody seems to be jumping up to take baby, even though this is the case. The last communication from the MD of baby was certainly of a very neutral tone compared to his previous upbeat, "it'll happen next week" e-mails. As negative as it sounds, sadly, I think it is fairly indicative of where things are going. If a winter schedule isn't on sale for baby soon, then there is going to be a massive loss of confidence in the airline and I think the future will be pretty clear. I for one would love for the future to be rosy.

Time for me to polish off that CV...