PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2012, 17:42
Aerials

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Croqueteer

Poking around in my loft this morning, I came across some long-forgotten memorabilia from my time at RAF Sharjah during 1969 to 1970. Among the items were 7 (not consecutive) issues of a newspaper, the Gulf Mail. The following is an article from one of them in March 1970.

"GLIDING AT SHARJAH

The Gulf Services Gliding Club is once again in operation after an inactive period, mainly due to the lack of a QFI. The club is now back in business thanks to the arrival of Terry Stator (QFI) and a lot of hard work by members. Terry took eighth place in the British Sports Class Nationalsof 1968 and is qualified on no fewer than 36 types. He will soon be joined by Norman Wilkinson, another QFI, whom Terry describes as "More experienced than myself".

The club has three gliders, a Sedbergh, an Olympia 2B and a KA8B. Terry dismisses these as "mere medium performance machines", but these are fit for soaring and are sure to keep average club members happy.

Club target for the year is 5,000 launches and 400 hours, more than enough for twenty ab initio students to solo, and plenty to spare. An indication of progress was the achievement of 85 launches and three new soloists on the first weekend of the new regime.

Places are available for new members, both flying and social. Flying membership costs 5 QDR per month, however, there is an additional fee of 2 QDR per launch. A club room with 'refreshments' offers a change of surroundings for those who feel that flying is for the birds. Social membership costs 2 QDR per month.

The Chairman, Flt Lt Carter or secretary, Cpl Armstrong will be pleased to answer your enquiries."