PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2012, 14:44
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
You have to have "touch" and be in "touch" with the jet ( I can just see Doze snorting, heh heh). I don't see any way to do this in a sim.
Why do you say that? I don't scoff at the idea that pilots should have a feel for the aircraft in the slightest, I just don't agree with the idea that the Airbus FBW control design makes that impossible. In fact all jetliners have had artificial feel of some sort from the DH Comet onwards.

In other words, you can override the "system" and get into the situation that AF447 did.
No-one "overrode" anything - the system dropped into a failure mode without protections because the airspeed sensors temporarily failed, and the evidence points strongly towards departure from controlled flight as being pilot-induced due to escalating misreading of the situation.

Originally Posted by Linktrained
How in the limited time (which WE now know was very limited) could PF have explained what he was having to do, to PNF.
The point is that from the moment the UAS indication appeared, the PF did not in fact immediately have to do anything. They were at cruise, their speed was OK, they had a little bump from turbulence, but that wasn't going to send them into a significant dive. The correct thing to do according to CRM would have been to let the aircraft ride itself out of the turbulence and then discuss what to do with each other while monitoring the aircraft's response. Instead, the PF seems to have instinctively yanked the aircraft into a climb and developed a near death-grip on the sidestick until they hit the water, without telling anyone that he was doing so.