PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO turn back
Thread: EFATO turn back
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2012, 11:52
Slippery_Pete

Received 380 Likes on 72 Posts
I can't believe people are still defending this.

The only time turn backs are appropriate in a single is in a higher performance turbine, at a company with appropriate SOPs and C&T to back it up - such as RFDS.

It should not be taught, or encouraged in light singles.

Demonstrating it to pilots gives them false confidence that it can be achieved no matter what the varaibles. In reality, the manoeuvre becomes infinitely more dangerous with even small changes in wind, runway length, aircraft weight/takeoff performance, pilot reaction time, pilot ability, and stress of dealing with a real emergency.

I'd much rather take my chances 100% of the time in a straight ahead landing touching down at 50 knots in a tree canopy, than the possible stall/spin/crash/burn scenario of a turn back. Teach a pilot to do it from 1000' on a 1500m runway, I guarantee if it happens at 800' on a 1200m runway, he's going to give it a go (and probably kill himself and passengers in the process).

And whoever decides I'm a fool, I challenge you to one of two things:
a) demonstrate one at 500' in your C172 or PA28... on a 500m runway on a nil wind day (without dying); or
b) explain how you accurately calculate the minimum turn back altitude to elect in your takeoff briefing (let's assume 900m runway, 5 knot headwind, at MTOW).

Chief Pilots who teach this s**t should immediately lose their approvals from CASA.