PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing P-8
Thread: Boeing P-8
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2012, 08:31
Siggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know of one yachtsman bobbing around in his dinghy in an outrageous sea state who said 'It (The Nimrod) was the most beautiful sight in the world. I guess he was biased though.

As for the first clip, amazing, a 737 can fly .....

The second clips shows the P8 at low level 'doing' ASW.

I found the following quote from an interview given by Commander Johansson, who is CNAF Maritime Readiness/CNAP Deputy Operations:-

'The P8 is envisioned by some as being a higher altitude ASW platform. I don’t foresee the P-8 primarily operating at higher altitudes in all tactical phases of flight and in fact, the P-8 is designed to fly through the entire range of the P-3 flight envelope.' (I think he's insinuating that it can do low level ASW without actually using the words, possibly to avoid trouble down the track.)

I mean, it can obviously go low level, or it couldn't take off and land.

He then appears to contradict himself later in the interview with :-

'How do we work in littoral at a higher altitude with other players in the mix? In the past during the Cold War in a blue water environment, we used to drop buoys from high altitude all the time, there was nobody else out there. In a littoral, I envision multiple friendly surface and low flying aircraft below you, and all these surface warriors and aviators below you are a little concerned about you dropping sonobuoys from high altitude.' (There's the high altitude for ASW bit again.)

Without GPS fitted sonobuoys, ASW from altitude is a non starter because of the need for accurate placement of buoys due to the low passive ranges on most modern submarines. (However, thankfully, there are exceptions to this rule )

Most Taccos struggle to get buoys ahead from 1000 feet, never mind 20,000.

The lack of low altitude performance of the P8 has given rise to some 'inventive' solutions to get 'eyes on' below the cloud base, obviously the crew in the second clip didn't have traditional North Atlantic weather when they got the feather on EO.

The sonobuoy launched Coyote and Voyeur UAVs look good fun, (if the two winged master race aren't allowed to fly them.) but their feasibility, endurance, cost and serviceability are all yet to be proven.

Last edited by Siggie; 31st Mar 2012 at 08:57.