PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bird avoidence
Thread: bird avoidence
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2012, 05:32
Dariuszw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what I would recommend:

Airports are responsible for bird control and must provide adequate bird scaring when necessary. This is also called the "Bird Control Program". Therefore, do not take off if birds are fouling the runway. Advise the tower and expect an airport action.

Switch on the aircraft lights up to 10000 feet at takeoff, and below 10000 feet at landing. It is assumed that lights provide an additional warning to the birds, and help them to localize the aircraft.

Flight crews must react immediately when a birdstrike occurs at takeoff, because there is no time left for analysis. Flight crews should be mentally prepared well before takeoff.

Using the weather radar to scare the birds has proved to be inefficient.

On short final, do not go around, if birds are encountered, but fly through the bird flock and land. Try to maintain a low thrust setting.

The use of reverse thrust on landing after a birdstrike should be avoided. It may increase engine damage, especially when engine vibration or high EGT are indicated.

I also know that there are websites for North America that follow bird migration and bird intensity displaying it on maps but you will have to do the homework Im going now to play with my FS4

Ok, not to leave you hanging looking for good web sources here is one I like a lot: http://usahas.com/bam/ This is only for good old USofA !