PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - WHERE TO NOW?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 21:15
Captain Gidday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nev, It's getting sad when a type endorsement is seen as a 'freebie'. God help us - even at Cityrail and Sydney Buses the drivers don't have to pay for their endorsements. How low can this profession sink?
Now don't hit me, lads, but I've got to say I don't actually mind Ken. Sure he's factually wrong sometimes but often he articulates what might be called the 'management position'. Part of the problem, and why there are so many 'where to now, Qantas' type of threads here [and in other similar places] is that QF management is spectacularly bad at engaging the troops in any meaningful and coherent dialogue. They are hunkered in their bunker and you'll just do what you're told or else. We are the managers and we have the Divine Right of Kings to manage, Goddammit!
The travelling public and sections of the media are equally confused by the whole 'dual airline/ LCC' thing. I think it's been done to death that setting up a Magda Cheap and Cheerful brand and then putting loyal high expectation Qantas customers without any choice onto a codeshare with Jet* has been a recipe for disaster. You save a dollar but lose the customer, anywhere they have a choice. It does not matter whether the cheap brand has the new aircraft etc. It's all about brand positioning and customer perception. That's the point of failure with the model. And yet they want to export this model all over Asia? As minority partners in hostile environments? Management expertise, anyone?
So keep contributing, Ken. I often don't much like what you say [and I'll be happy to tell you when you are factually wrong] but we'd be silly to exclude your opinion from the debate.
Not that any of this is going to do us any good. Hanrahan is no longer with us, but you know what he always said.

Last edited by Captain Gidday; 31st Mar 2012 at 13:20.