PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 2
Old 30th Mar 2012, 19:05
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another, IAG's approval to acquire bmi is directly relevant to DEP selection. In order to give a slightly less cynical reaction than the one supplied by BlackandBrown, the reason for its relevance is that existing hold pool members or those applicants awaiting to attend their Day 2 assessments are now staring into an abyss of uncertainty.

IAG have had to agree to surrender 14 slot pairs once belonging to bmi in order to secure the EU's approval of the deal. If you are interested in what this potentially means, direct your eyes to another thread running alongside this one in the T&E section - "Virgin and Balpa - bmi next?" From reading this thread you will probably note that there is some reasonably convincing arguements relating to a letter published by the BA Company Council on the BALPA forum. This letter I believe suggested that if any requirement was made for IAG to surrender slots aquired through the bmi merger then the potential for flight crew job loses at bmi was not to be underestimated.

I'm not sure where you sit in the BA DEP process at the present time, Another? However if you are one of the guys keeping his fingers crossed that BA DEP recruitment will reopen in the not so distant future then I might take a rain check. If you are unaware, not so long ago, the existing and limited number remaining in the pool had their tenures extended to a maximum of 18 months and any future recruitment was suspended from the end of this month. I apologise if you are already aware of this and if this has affected you directly then I feel your pain. However you cannot suggest that today's decision by the regulator has no bearing on DEP recruitment at BA. It may even possibly do so for a lengthy period of time.

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 30th Mar 2012 at 19:18.