PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 18:19
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Hi Harry, welcome to the thread! Don't worry about short term memory loss, for only long term is needed here. The amazing recall from that far back is as you say amazing, as the posts of our many contributors testify. So get stuck in with more "Naming of the Parts" or whatever else may come to mind.
I was struck by the information (was it posted here?) that the four cannon ammunition feeds in the nose of the Westland Whirlwind Fighter were designed by a Process Engineer. Baked Bean tins and Cannon Shells it seems have a lot in common ;-)
Danny, your tale of being exiled to a cold and wet night's airfield guard duty brings back memories of my own of a snowed in Oakington 1962/63. It had snowed, thawed, refrozen, snowed, thawed, refrozen, etc, while we student pilots were on Christmas Grant. We returned to find a flap on, as every RAF runway except ours was rapidly attaining "Black Top" status, thanks to such things as Goblin engines mounted on trailers. 5FTS had none of these, but plenty of us students. So armed with shovels, spades, pick axes, brushes and whatever else might fit the bill, we were herded out to the runway. Unfortunately a previous attempt to clear the snow, involving Vampires parked in echelon on the runway with engines revving, had merely melted the snow, but with iced up drains the slush soon froze hard. Hence the pick axes! Eventually half the length and half the width was cleared. The CFI fired up a Vampire, took off in the cleared length, did a circuit and landed. He soon used up the cleared bit, overran into the contaminated bit, and only came to a halt thanks to the barrier.
Luckily for us they then went to plan B, and we flew out the aircraft (Varsities) to Wyton and flew from there, until nature did what we could not. I've never been so cold and so miserable! If they'd tried to get us to dig out the whole runway length I think we might have seen the second RAF mutiny!